The Sultan tradition began in 1872, when Edward Sultan founded the original Sultan Pharmacy on 23rd Street in New York City. The pharmacy dispensed prescription and over-the-counter drugs and was popular for its lunch counter. In the 1930’s, the New York University School of Dentistry opened just one block away. Since Sultan filled prescriptions for the school, it wasn’t surprising that graduate dentists continued to send their prescriptions to Sultan for their dental pharmaceuticals. As more and more dentists turned to Sultan in the 1940’s, a small manufacturing area replaced the lunch counter. By 1955 Sultan required more manufacturing and inventory space and moved to New Jersey. Sultan closed the pharmacy and devoted all its efforts to manufacturing products for sale to dentists and dental dealers.