The Legacy of HR® Lubricating Jelly dates back to 1925 when the HR® formula was imported from Germany. Soon thereafter, Holland-Rantos began marketing the original "Vaginal Jelly" to be known as HR® Lubricating Jelly. HR® Lubricating Jelly has been used in a variety of medical applications, including surgical and reproductive therapies, as well as the development of the transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator in the 1950's. It was first used as a primary echogenic medium for ultrasonic procedures dating back to the early 1960's. In 1985, the HR® brand was sold to Carter-Wallace; in 1999, they ceased operations. In 2002, the mission to bring HR® Lubricating Jelly began; in 2007 a 32 month historical manufacturing and distribution study ensued. January 2010, HR® Lubricating Jelly achieved Pre-amendment Status by the FDA; this was the first of its kind to be granted since May 28, 1976 when the 510(k) processes began.